Immune, Respiratory, Sistemic and Endocrine System Diseases
TYPE: Elective module
COORDINATOR: Josep Villena, PhD - Personal profile
This module aims to show the principal respiratory, immune, systemic and endocrine system diseases and the molecular approaches used for understanding the pathophysiological processes underlying these diseases.
SECTION I: RESPIRATORY DISEASES
- New advances in the pathology of asthma and COPD
- Occupational and environmental respiratory diseases
- Non-invasive methods for studying pulmonary inflammation
- Laboratory techniques for research in respiratory diseases
SECTION II: ENDOCRINE DISEASES
- Overview of endocrine related diseases: basic concepts and clinical features
- Diabetes and its complications: the clinical point of view
- Obesity: etiology and therapeutic strategies.
- Etiology of type 2 diabetes and insulin resistance: lipotoxicity
- Etiology of type 2 diabetes and insulin resistance: Inflammation
- Etiology of type 2 diabetes and insulin resistance: role of mitochondrial dysfunction.
- Brown adipose tissue and energy homeostasis: a new therapeutic target for metabolic diseases.
- New therapeutic target against obesity: Introduction to sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) and sex steroids
- New functions of SHBG in human physiology
- PRACTICAL SESSION
- Type 1 diabetes: beta cell replacement and regeneration for the treatment of type 1 diabetes mellitus
- Different sex development (DSD): genetic and hormonal regulation of sex development during fetal life, genetic diagnosis and functional studies.
SECTION III: IMMUNE SYSTEM DISEASES
- Review of the immune response in health and disease. New and evolving concepts relevant to the immunopathology.
- Review of immune mediated diseases
- Mechanisms of tolerance and autoimmunity
- Etiology of Primary Immunodeficiencies
- Mechanisms of hypersensitivity and allergy.
- Laboratory techniques for research in immune mediated diseases.